The mission of the Coryell County Commissioners is to provide the most efficient, effective, and responsive government that achieves economic growth and safe communities for the citizens of Coryell County.
Four County Commissioners, each elected from a quarter of the county's population, serve along with the County Judge on the Commissioners Court. In addition to assuring that county roads are maintained, commissioners vote with the County Judge to set the budget for all county departments and adopt a tax rate.
Commissioners Precinct Map
Pictured from left to right:
Don Jones, Commissioner Precinct 3
Daren Moore, Commissioner Precinct 2
John Firth, County Judge
Ray Ashby, Commissioner Precinct 4
Kyle Matthews, Commissioner Precinct 1
Coryell County Main Street Annex
Commissioners’ Courtroom and Voting Center
801 E. Leon Street
Gatesville, Texas 76528
Jean Morrison, Commissioners' Court Administrative Assistant
Phone 254-865-5911 ext. 2221
Barbara Simpson, Clerk of the Commissioners' Court
Phone 254-865-5911 ext. 2235
Among other responsibilities, the Commissioners' Court:
- Sets the yearly property tax rate and approves the budget and employment level for the county.
- Sets Commissioners and Justice of the Peace precinct boundaries.
- Calls, conducts and certifies elections, including bond elections.
- Sets employment and benefit policy.
- Establishes long-range thoroughfare, open space, land use, financial and law enforcement/jail needs plan.
- Acquires property for rights-of-way or other uses determined to be in the public's best interest.
- Reviews and approve subdivision platting and wastewater treatment for rural areas.
- Provides rural ambulance services and subsidizes rural fire protection.
- Oversees the construction, maintenance and improvement of county roads and bridges.
- Appoints non-elected department heads and standing committees.
- Supervises and controls the County Courthouse, county buildings, and county facilities.
- Adopts a county budget.
- Determines county tax rate.
- Fills vacancies in elective and appointive positions.
- Has exclusive authority to authorize contracts in the name of the county.